* Review of the best according to the editors of ecdfburma.org. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective, is not an advertisement and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Along with the engine or transmission, the battery is one of the most important elements of the internal structure of a modern car. It provides power to all peripheral electronics and on-board systems, as well as the ability to start the motor - the main unit in the power part of the car.
According to the tradition that has already developed in the automotive product segment, more than 50 companies around the world are engaged in the production of batteries, however, only a small part of them deserve consumer confidence. That is why the editors of Ecdfburma magazine conducted an independent study, which resulted in a rating of the best batteries for a car in two thematic categories. The selection criteria for the final list of steel are:
- customer reviews (their general essence and constructiveness);
- expert opinions;
- comparison of technical and operational characteristics;
- level of value and its relation to the available functionality.
How to choose a battery for a car
In order to make the right battery selection for your car, pay attention to three key aspects:
Type of battery. A very important characteristic that directly affects the cost of a future purchase, and the manifestation of strengths and weaknesses. All manufactured batteries are divided into three groups:
- Lead acid. An extremely primitive and outdated type of battery, consisting of six insulated containers (cans) with sulfuric acid, in each of which a lead plate is dropped. They are cheap, for the most part they are serviced (if it is possible to unscrew the plugs for topping up the electrolyte) and tolerate recharging very well. True, in the event of a full discharge, they can easily lose their entire capacity and simply stop charging.
- Gel. The latest type of batteries, in which the liquid electrolyte is replaced by a gel. They are more environmentally friendly than lead-acid batteries, since the gel has no fluidity and prevents the coloring of lead plates. In addition, they are insensitive to deep discharge, but have fairly stringent requirements for the charging process and a three (or even five times) higher price.
- AGM. Combined type of battery, combining the principles of both of the above options. The liquid electrolyte here acts as an impregnation for the fiber material that frames the plates and also prevents them from coloring. Such batteries have high energy efficiency, but are extremely sensitive both to the charging process and to deep discharge. The cost is two times higher than on lead-acid models.
The value of the starting current. Mandatory parameter, which is prescribed in the accompanying documents and on the battery label. It can be measured by three different methods:
- EN - current measurements take place at -18 degrees Celsius and a voltage of at least 7.5 volts for 10 seconds. The final value is taken as the maximum possible.
- DIN - at similar ambient temperatures and at least 9 volts of voltage, the measurement is carried out for 30 seconds. This is the toughest way to set the inrush current parameter.
- SAE - the supplied voltage is 7.2 volts, the temperature is unchanged. Indication of the maximum current level passes in 30 seconds.
Starting current comes to the fore when the battery is going to be operated in regions with a cold climate. In this case, it is better to give preference to models with increased current characteristics - the probability of starting the engine in the cold will increase significantly.
Polarity. Extremely important and "insidious" aspect of choice, spoiling the nerves of any inattentive car owner. As a rule, the vast majority of cars have short terminals for connecting the battery, which cannot be adapted to their places when it is "improperly" mounted (a kind of protection against fools who can inadvertently throw terminals onto the wrong contacts). Remember a simple rule: if you turn the battery with the terminals toward you, then the "plus" will be on the left, with direct polarity, or on the right with reverse polarity. A kind of domestic and European version of the arrangement.
Which battery is better: gel or lead acid?
+ Relatively inexpensive battery type
+ Ease of execution
+ Low level of self-discharge (from 3 to 20%) per month
+ Low maintenance requirements - no electrolyte topping up and no memory effect
+ Expressed ability for high current output
- Do not tolerate discharged storage
- Generally sensitive to temperature extremes.
- Low environmental friendliness - electrolytes and lead are pollutants
- Supports a strictly limited number of charge / full charge cycles
- Most often they "live" for 2-3 years
+ High degree of environmental friendliness - the gel does not have fluidity and prevents the breakdown of lead plates, enveloping them
+ Can be brought to a state of complete discharge
+ Service life can reach 7 years
- High cost (3 times higher than lead acid)
- High sensitivity to exceed the rated voltage level
- Rigid enough restrictions on the charging current
- Do not tolerate frost, which is why they are not recommended for use in cold regions
Rating of the best batteries for the car
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best Lead Acid Batteries||1||VARTA Blue dynamic||8 924 ₽|
|2||Medalist Standard CMF 56077||4 700 ₽|
|3||Mutlu Calcium Silver 60||4 595 ₽|
|4||TAB Polar B60HV||5 195 ₽|
|5||Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64||4 300 ₽|
|6||Exide premium||6 248 ₽|
|7||"Beast" 6CT-60 L3U||4 350 ₽|
|Best AGM batteries||1||VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM||10 355 ₽|
|2||Bosch AGM S5||14 480 ₽|
|3||Banner running bull||12 580 ₽|
|4||Optima Red Top||16 880 ₽|
|5||Tudor agm||9 750 ₽|
Best Lead Acid Batteries
VARTA Blue dynamic
A series of batteries with a very long and glorious history, which has always been in the top of the best for all the time of its existence. VARTA Blue dynamic in general can be considered a reference battery: here you have a very long operation, and good current performance, and even the presence of a reserve capacity reserve. Judge for yourself: at 60 ampere-hours, the starting current here is 540 amperes (EN standard), which is much higher than a number of direct competitors.
Yes, at some point in the German production machine a malfunction occurred, and at one time the users all complained as one at a time about the total failure of the VARTA Blue dynamic - and this was only after six months or a year of work. All this happened in 2014-15. Now D59 is almost the best option for installation in a car without feeling the frost and managing to “survive” even resting for a couple of seasons in a state of half discharge. Such metamorphoses became possible due to the integration of the once high-tech PowerFrame, which is an obstacle to the mechanical (and, apparently, chemical) destruction of lead plates. Objectively, you can’t even dig into the model: the price tag in modern realities is more than fair, the quality is proved both by expert tests and by simple users, and the absence of a charging indicator is unlikely to be called a serious minus.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- good performance;
- the presence of reserve capacity and high inrush current generated when the engine starts;
- simple but reliable interior design.
- not detected.
Medalist Standard CMF 56077
One step from the first place in the ranking is Medalist Standard CMF 56077, a lead-acid battery that recently returned to the Russian market. The reason for his departure was in contradiction with the interests of the company: everything went to the fact that Medalist left the segment. But the return is inspired by great damage to the economy, since sales in Russia brought about 20-30% of the total profit.
As for the battery itself, then at 60 ampere-hours of capacity, the current value was 560 amperes. Even in comparison with domestic batteries ("Tyumen" or "Beast") it is not enough, but the gain in mass is very noticeable (here it is 13.5 kilograms). Predicting what will happen next is not easy, but it seems that the new Medalist policy will not lead to anything good. Having made a second entry into the market, the manufacturer raised the price of his goods, which is why more than a third of former customers turned away from him. And although the Standard CMF 56077 is a very decent battery, the cost still looks inappropriate for the content.
- stable inrush current indicators;
- the service life is estimated at 5 years;
- solid reserve of capacity;
- suitable for use in cold regions of Russia.
- pretty high cost.
Mutlu Calcium Silver 60
From year to year, the characters in the category do not change. Mutlu Calcium Silver 60 is a constant participant in various ratings and tops, which has gained immense popularity among users for actual maintainability and high stability over the entire life cycle. In this aspect, the positive impact of the updated silver alloying technology is reflected, which allowed to significantly extend the life of calcium batteries by 40-60%. In addition, the plate has undergone changes - an advanced casting technology increases the uniformity of properties and an inevitable increase in quality.
At 60 ampere-hours of capacity, Mutlu Calcium Silver 60 produces up to 540 amperes of current, which is good performance by the standards of calcium batteries. Well, finally, we should discuss the issue of maintainability. To put it this way, we mean the ability to control the density in each jar, which became available thanks to the removal of the lid and access to the plugs. By adding electrolyte, it is possible to significantly regulate the battery life, thereby stretching it for years.
- optimal level of value;
- the ability to partially disassemble the battery for self-service (namely, filling the electrolyte and checking the density);
- high starting current;
- good workmanship (silver alloying, continuous casting technology).
- small reserve capacity.
TAB Polar B60HV
A very good lead-acid battery of the middle segment, which did not reach the top three due to the notorious lack of reserve capacity and popularity, slightly less than that of Mutlu. Yes, ceteris paribus, user preferences played a role: TAV Polar B60HV as a niche product often remained aloof from the choice. Maybe in vain, since at 60 ampere-hours the starting current in it is as much as 600 amperes, and in practice, no drops in the indicator have been noticed. This is much more than VARTA Blue Dynamic produces, and such indicators are worth reckoning with.
Among other things, TAB Polar B60HV declared itself as a good battery for the winter period, since no “fear” of frost and low temperatures was noticed even in Siberia. The cost of the model on the market, in general, corresponds to qualitative characteristics, and in terms of durability, the battery honestly fulfills the prescribed period (5 years). Due to the era of falsification of everything, this whole battery can be considered one of the best and without any hesitation to take into use.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- absolutely adequate work in cold weather;
- up to 600 A current for 60 Ah capacity;
- monitoring electrolyte through plugs.
- low reserve capacity;
- low popularity (in comparison with the first three batteries).
Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64
If in terms of the cost to the “Beast” 6CT-60 L3U it was possible to make a lot of claims, then the Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64 stoically withstands all attacks and even gives odds to many foreign competitors. According to a number of internal tests, this battery is the best of its kind, even if the bulkiness is invariably present here as a symbol of a certain “down-to-earth”.
With a capacity of 64 ampere-hours, the declared current is 59 amperes - there is a slight imbalance in the values, however, it does not drive users into a stupor. It’s a joke, but almost the entire experts preferred Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64, lowering even the product from VARTA below the rank. A local victory in such a tight confrontation is something, but it means that only users have influenced the final distribution of places. Whatever it was, but this battery is a vivid representative of domestic production, which does not care for either cold or age.
- very high quality workmanship;
- low price;
- sufficiently large and stable characteristics;
- peer review leader.
- bulkiness (weight is 17.2 kilograms).
As often happens, Exide Premium has become a hostage to the situation of the wildest imbalance, under which it was "signed" by American manufacturers. In fact, the life path of this battery can be described by the words "I lived short, but to the fullest": at 60 ampere-hours of capacity, the starting current was 640 amperes, which is the highest indicator among its kind. Naturally, with such returns, it is not worth hoping for long-term operation of the battery, and even more so unrepairable.
The maximum service life of Exide Premium very rarely reaches at least three years, which is explained by the extremely fast development of the resource of the cathode and anode. In essence, it all depends on the consciousness of the user: how exploitative the style can be called moderate, how often he uses the car and in what climatic conditions. Fortunately, the cost of the model is not the highest in the market. If the price also let us down, then everything would be very sad.
- reasonable cost;
- very high inrush currents;
- It tolerates loads well when working in cold regions.
- extremely low "survivability": the maximum service life hardly exceeds three years.
"Beast" 6CT-60 L3U
The "Beast" 6CT-60 L3U can be safely called a victim of prejudice from users, who consider the requested cost to be too large for a product developed in Russia. Be that as it may, the battery honestly fulfills all the declared parameters: for example, with the same 60 ampere-hours of capacity, it produces up to 600 amperes of current. An excellent indicator, even in comparison with representatives of foreign countries.
The Beast 6ST-60 L3U is not afraid of Russian frosts, for which, in fact, it was developed: starting currents make it easy to start both a gasoline and a diesel engine. The resource is usually enough for four years, but some users manage to "drop" it in one season. The only gripe about the design of the Beast is a large mass: 16.4 kilograms, while with the same indicators foreign analogues weigh 2-3 kilograms less. Hence the conclusion: even though the characteristics of our batteries can compete with foreign ones, but not everything is so wonderful in terms of their design.
- good starting currents;
- adaptability to winter conditions;
- prevalence in retail stores;
- high quality workmanship.
- high price for a domestic product;
Best AGM batteries
VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM
By the will of the people, the leading line in the ranking is occupied by a really worthy battery from Varta, which is invariably positioned as a more expensive (and high-quality) alternative to the previously mentioned Bosch S5 AGM.In fact, in terms of characteristics, the D52 Silver Dynamic AGM completely copies the competitor S5 in the entire variety of models in the line, differing only in point-wise, meaningless parameters. But on the side of this battery, a fully implemented "start / stop" system: unlike the accidental hit of Bosch at the very point here, it was screwed on intentionally.
And, despite the increased wear during operation in this mode, the VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM calmly “runs back” the same two seasons, giving the right to decide on the fate of the future to the consumer himself. True, as a ballast to this right is added the cost, a quarter higher than the price for Bosch S5. Let’s give a little hint: such an exchange will be successful under any conditions, since the battery performs well not only in cars with a “cruel” system (here it’s time to remember Tudor AGM), but also when used in standard configurations, which the eternal rivals lack so much by category.
- good ratio of inrush current to rated capacity level (680 A to 60 Ah, etc.);
- excellent performance in start / stop conditions;
- long-term storage of charge and the ability to quickly recharge;
- a favorable combination of price and quality.
- not found.
Bosch AGM S5
The classic Bosch battery from the "premium" category did not reach the lead a little, the main positive quality of which was the perfect working balance - much more pronounced than that of the Banner Running Bull. Again: on the face of the abundance of models of various parameters of the capacitance and the starting current, and in some places the superiority over the previous representative of the rating is very pronounced. We give a simple example: almost 700 (to be more precise, 680) amperes of current in the case of the S5 series are produced at a capacity of 60 ampere-hours. A good result, even by the standards of gel batteries.
Secondly, it is necessary to highlight a good reserve reserve capacity, as well as a high charge accumulation rate, which is especially useful when operating a car in a rather rigid "start / stop" mode. Bosch AGM S5 is not afraid of frost at all, and in any case it will “roll back” at least two seasons - otherwise the duration of operation will entirely depend on you. And although even in extremely positive reviews there was a place to reproach the "big price tag", let’s say so - we have no complaints about this line.
- high start current at nominal capacitance values;
- excellent "survivability" in the cold;
- the ability to quickly accumulate charge;
- there is a capacitive reserve (in extreme cases);
- The optimum ratio of price and quality.
- not detected.
Banner running bull
Banner Running Bull - a model that combines the concept of balance on the main operational characteristics. It is presented on the market in a wide variety of capacitive parameters and corresponding starting currents, which is why it is very popular, but mainly in regions with a warm climate. In fact, the performance of these batteries is very close to middle-sized gel batteries: for example, with a capacity of 70 ampere-hours, the starting current can reach 700-720 amperes. In other words, its capacities are enough for launching voluminous gasoline engines, as well as for diesel engines.
However, almost all consumers unanimously agree that the Banner Running Bull does not have enough conditions to work in frosty conditions - the battery goes down very quickly. Because of this, additional troubles appear with its periodic removal for storage in a warm place, because no one wants to overpay for an early "death" without an expensive energy element.
- an extensive line of batteries by capacity;
- high starting currents allowing the battery to work in tandem with diesel and gasoline engines;
- high durability in warm climatic zones or with proper maintenance in cold conditions.
- quite high price tag for the whole assortment;
- poor performance in cold climates.
Optima Red Top
The Optima Red Top gel battery, which has two good reasons, didn’t get to the top three, it has a very high cost (as for all gel batteries) and a fairly small capacity - only 55 ampere-hours. Actually, for these reasons, many barriers to bulk sales are built up, as some consumers are embarrassed by such small capacitive indicators, and the rest cannot make a deal with the internal “toad,” turning their eyes to simpler options.
Of course, if everything had been so bad, Optima Red Top would not have been in the ranking under any circumstances. The situation is saved by excellent working conditions in the cold period, in connection with which the battery can be operated for a long time and easily in Siberia. The second positive aspect is the extremely high value of the starting current: 815 amperes, which gives a big contrast against the background of capacitive characteristics. Yes, it can not be repaired (as well as all modern battery models), however, the service life can reach 5 years - it all depends on the frequency of use of the vehicle, travel modes and the amount of electronics.
- modern technology of gel batteries;
- extremely high starting current (815 A);
- long service life;
- excellent performance in the winter season.
- low battery capacity (55 Ah);
- very high price.
Exide Technologies (owner of the Tudor trademark) started developing AGM-batteries not so long ago, but has already managed to make a lot of noise in the global community of car enthusiasts. The new compact installation was a real revelation among all compact battery models, giving up to 680 amperes to the load with a capacity of 60 ampere-hours. The result is excellent, especially in conjunction with sharpening for cars equipped with a "start / stop" system and a volumetric engine (from 2 liters). This is facilitated by the possibility of a quick set of charge and the return of a large current pulse, which is especially useful in winter during the operation of a car in a city cycle.
According to users, despite the very serious advantages of Tudor AGM is extremely disloyal to cars without the appropriate option and a small engine (1.5 - 1.8 liters), and even with periodic downtime as unnecessary. This is due to the fact that the accelerated discharge of current will provoke a rapid discharge of the battery, so it is likely that after a short period of time it will be necessary to remove it and charge from the device. In addition to that, the high cost does not play into the hands of the ordinary consumer. Therefore, strictly limited in application, it occupies the fifth line of our rating.
- a sufficiently powerful element capable of delivering large volumes of current in a short time;
- quickly perceives charging, which is good for cars working with the "start / stop" system;
- compact overall dimensions.
- there is an accelerated decrease in capacity under load;
- high price.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not an advertisement and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.